Newburgh Farm and Food Initiative Programs
NUFFI serves as a “hub” for community garden activities that create opportunities for residents to work with each other. We provide community-based resources to improve the capacity of residents to successfully install and maintain gardens in their neighborhoods.
- Provides Resource materials including education, tool sharing and bulk purchasing.
- Offers Technical Assistance in design, installation and ongoing maintenance.
- Conducts Community-based Workshops on topics relevant to urban gardening.
- Maintains community leadership and collaboration of current gardens
- Fosters the development of new community and residential gardens in neighborhoods throughout the City of Newburgh.
Food Access for Greater Food Security & Health
NUFFI increases access by residents to locally grown healthy food and reduces food waste by providing community gardens and residents with a way to distribute their excess produce. NUFFI considers and creates opportunities for additional markets for distributing local products.
- Continues to expand the Newburgh Citywide Produce Donation Program through direct liaison between gardens and food assistance programs, and collaborations with other food access groups.
- Assists the current Farmers’ Markets and explores other market opportunities.
- Research the development of:
- retail outlets such as a Growers Co-op,
- a “Buy Local” program to encourage local markets and restaurants to carry local products